[Nobug] Asciidoc and pdf: see no difference in output

Christian Thaeter ct at pipapo.org
Sun Sep 9 23:01:34 CEST 2012

Am Sun, 09 Sep 2012 20:44:47 +0200
schrieb "Benny Lyons" <Benny.Lyons at gmx.net>:

> Hi,
> I've been looking at the pdf output produced by 2 different versions
> of Asciidoc, but cannot see any difference.
>
> Here's what I've been doing:
>
> I'm using Squeeze, so, per default I'm using Asciidoc 8.6.6. Instead
> of doing an update to Wheezy, I downloaded the latest Asciidoc and
> installed it under /usr/local. That's version 8.6.8.
>
> To be able to use both versions of Asciidoc, side-by-side, I wrote a
> small wrapper for Asciidoc that allows me to easily switch between
> versions.
>
> I produce the NoBug LaTeX manual as follows:
>
>     asciidoc -f /${asciidoc_version}/latex.conf --unsafe
> --backend=latex nobug_manual.txt
>

> Unfortunately, I see no difference between either versions. Is my
> scheme in error?  Are my versions of Asciidoc ok? or should I be
> checking other versions?  What versions of Asciidoc are you using.
>
> The pdf produced by both versions is not terribly inspiring.

Maybe it was even Lenny when i first tried? back that time the pdf
output looked even more worse (aka not only ugly but some brokenness).
The direct Latex backend looks way better, while I think this should be
only some stylesheet issue (where I have no clue either). I'll
investigate later what would be simpler to do for me, upgrading the
latex backend or figuring out how to make a stylesheet to generate a
compareable pleasing output with dblatex. I imagine fixing the latex
backend is the low hanging fruit while having a dblatex stylesheet
might be more future proof. So lets se.

	Christian